Friday, February 24, 2012

I Did the Dub!

On February 15, 2012, my school filmed its second annual Lip Dub. Today was the grand release day. The first ever showing was in our school auditorium at 2:00 this afternoon, and within half an hour, it was live on YouTube. It's hard to describe what a moving experience it is to take part in something like this. I've always loved theater and music and being part of the CHS community, and being in a Lip Dub is such a wonderful combination of everything. Students, teachers, and yes, even one of our resident school mice was caught on camera. (I'm not going to say where. You'll have to watch everything to see!)

And where is the famous author? Yeah, about that. You see, I thought it would be cool to film the Dub being made, and so on one of the five (I think -- I sort of lost count) takes, my focus was elsewhere as the official camera went by, so all of me that was caught is my disembodied arm in a blue shirt holding a small camera in the cafeteria. And of course, that is the take that was used. But that's okay, because it's all about the spirit of the thing, and believe me, there was plenty of that.

Reflecting on this event, I realized that I was a student in the Colchester district for twelve years in the '70's and '80's. In another three and a half weeks, I will have been a member of the special education staff in the high school for twelve years. I have no idea how that happened. So in less than a month, I will have been part of the community longer as an adult (well, I pretend to be, anyway) than I was as a kid. To say that it's an important part of me is an understatement. When I watched this Lip Dub today, I saw some ghosts in the familiar hallways and cafeteria and gym and auditorium. In my memory, other faces lined the halls, other laughter echoed down the stairs. You all know who you are. I was thinking about you as this was being filmed, and so, as much as it's possible, I think that my hand and camera symbolize those who are there only in spirit.

(Class of 1981 -- we are totally the best! Yeah! Go Lakers! Blue and Green forever!)

The links:

The Colchester High School 2012 Lip Dub  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYGEM_MS4RE

The Making of the 2012 Lip Dub http://www.youtube.com/user/chslipdubproject?ob=0&feature=results_video#p/u/0/z0ga0NGJ11s


And the links to last year's Lip Dub (which has gotten over 12,000 hits in a year and all kinds of positive feedback) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHH6clID7Yg

Making of the 2011 Lip Dub http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWTywWCLJqA

2 comments:

  1. We watched it last night! Our girl is in it this year....she was quite excited!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it just the coolest thing? And I see your girl around most days. High school is exciting times.

    ReplyDelete