Saturday, April 7, 2012

Happy Easter!


This is our Easter Egg Tree this year.

It's been a long tradition in my family. We don't make new eggs every year, more like every two or three, depending on how the eggs are faring packed away in their special box in my closet. Each egg is carefully blown out, then colored, then has a bit of yarn glued to the top. We hang them on a branch which we put in water, and after a few weeks, it begins to leaf out. This year, the branch already had little leaves, which is very unusual, but lovely. We picked a lilac branch this time, and it looks like we might have little, indoor lilacs in another week or so. Some years, we choose a shad plum, and we get delicate white blossoms.

My mother made a tree with me every year, as her mother did with her, and as my daughters will do with their children. And it's the tradition that's even more beautiful than the tree, in my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment