Saturday, May 5, 2012

Spring is Really Here!

Last night, my first Ruby Throated Hummingbird arrived, breaking my old record of May 6th as the earliest arrival here at my house. I felt so bad because I didn't have my feeders hung out yet, since I usually rely on the Vermont e-bird list where birdwatchers all over the state write in about what they're seeing. I can track the hummingbird migration up the state and be ready. But this little guy must have flown right to me from South America without stopping anywhere first. He lit right on the bracket where I always hang a feeder, so I know he's been here before. It's hard to imagine the miles those little wings have carried him since he left in September.

Within half an hour, I'd made a batch of food and had my feeders out. My little guy has been happily coming all day. Soon more males will arrive, and in a week or so, they'll be joined by the females. Pretty soon, it'll be hummingbirds with love on their minds diving and swooping everywhere. Can't wait.

I've had an pair of Eastern Bluebirds hanging around my bird boxes, but it's too soon to tell if they'll be nesting here or not.

For those of you who aren't lucky enough to live in Vermont...


Red Trillium




Eastern Bluebird




My waterfall


No comments:

Post a Comment