Tuesday, January 1, 2013

New Year Reflection

I'm starting the new year in an old place, the ancestral farm that has been in my family for six generations. It's been wonderful to spend a few days here with my mother, feeling all my ancestors hovering nearby. The house has been renovated carefully to keep the feeling of the old building but with better heat and bigger windows. I slept in the same room I used to share with my Great Aunt Grayce when I stayed here with her many years ago. It's been really lovely.

The barn, however, is the same as it's been for over a hundred years. People knew how to build with permanence back then. Wouldn't it be nice if our current lawmakers could all spend New Years Eve in the place where their ancestors had lived a hundred and fifty years ago and spend some time in hard reflection about what their priorities ought to be in the coming year?







No comments:

Post a Comment