Friday, May 24, 2013

The Plot Thickens...



The official word is that I'm going to be on an island until at least the beginning of next week. 

The town has applied for a temporary bridge, but the state has to approve it first, and then the water has to drop before they can put it in. It's anyone's guess exactly when that'll happen.

In the mean time, one of our neighbors has been appointed our point person with the town, and she's called everyone to make sure we're all okay. If we need emergency supplies, she will arrange for them to be brought in by ATV. I'm not sure how many of us are actually up here -- I'd guess about twenty. At least one is a nurse, just in case.

So for now, I'm staying put. It would be a very long, wet, rugged hike to get out of here, and I'm not going to attempt it unless I have to, since I have a knee that bothers me. I just managed, with the help of some firefighters, to get some clothing and medicine out to my family across the raging torrent. (They threw me a bag on a rope, I put my bag in it and threw it back.I must say, my toss was at least as good as theirs!)

So everyone please hope that Vermont bureaucracy moves fast and the sun comes out!

In the mean time, I'm going to have a writer's retreat!



No comments:

Post a Comment