Sunday, August 11, 2013

Death and Destruction

This has been a terrible summer -- there's no other way to describe it.

It began with the sudden death of our beloved dog Ruby, then progressed to the knowledge that a dear friend was very ill, which prompted our flash trip to Florida. Literally immediately upon return (that very night) my youngest daughter's boyfriend of two and a half years died in a car accident minutes after leaving our house. It's going to take us a long, long time, if ever, to come to some kind of understanding of this. Less that a week after, my father-in-law was diagnosed with lung cancer. This on top of my own parents' slow but steady worsening health.

Of far less consequence, four or five trees beside our house came down in a storm while we were in Florida. They're still lying there untouched. Once, we would have tackled cleaning them up immediately. Now they're just lying there, and every time I look out a kitchen window, I realize how temporary things that I thought (or at least hoped) would last forever can be.

Did I mention that I was just told that even my car won't make it through another winter?

We're going to Maine for a few days this week. We all need to sit beside the sea for a while.

The trees will still be lying there when we return.

2 comments:

  1. Interesting how close our journey's have been. My mother, after a courageous battle with cancer went to be with the LORD in Dec. along with my dad's sister and their best friend. Our puppy was hit by a car and died at the beginning of the summer. And now we are going to Maine. There is healing Kari Jo. Love you all.

    ReplyDelete