Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Snow Rock









As I went for my usual walk up the road today (it's school vacation, yeah!) I had to stop and stare at this snow-capped rock for a while (the temp is in the teens, so I dared to stop walking for a moment and not risk freezing solid). The snow on top is frozen into layers like the rings of a tree. Since we haven't had a thaw in as long as I can remember, the layers go back to the first snow that stayed in November. You can see we haven't had any really huge snowfalls, just lots and lots of little ones, the kind that keep the roads nasty and the steps slippery. But it makes an interesting, and transitory, way of remembering time. Memories in my mind aren't layered like this -- they're all jumbled up and often come to the surface at the wrong times, sometimes unexpectedly. And sometimes I have to dig down for things I ought to be able to remember easily.

I know there will be more layers of snow on the rock before this cold winter comes to an end, but eventually it will be covered with green moss and lichens again and bask in the sun as I long to do.

2 comments:

  1. That's an interesting way of looking at it. I wouldn't have thought of it. It looks like frosting to me. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! You're right, Lori, it does indeed look like frosting!

      Delete